I am trying an evaluation of remote desktops on Azure. I’m trying the product and I’ve created a couple virtual machines, installed RDS and created a collection, but even though after logging into the web rd site, I see my remote desktop listed but everything I’ve tried I cannot connect and log into the desktop session. I’ve tried many fixes but just getting frustrated. I’m sure I’m missing something simple and I’ve gone through several tutorials and tech-net articles but I cannot connect to the hosted remote desktop session. I added a DNS host record on my local client to use the IP instead of the DNS name for my trial servers, but I still get the error below:
If you happen to come across the same situation please let me know. I even unchecked “only with Network Level Authentication but still no luck. I was, however, able to connect to the RDS object from an different internal VM on the same network. So this leads me to believe that DNS or security is broken between my external network and Azure. External to the Azure network, I cannot mstsc to the IP or hostname. Internal to the Azure network, I can mstsc to jclabrd01.nethealth and I can do the internal IP fine. So even though external access has a bug I still consider my lab work a success in setting up RDS in a trial environment. Were this a production environment I would spend more time securing the operating system, working with the Azure Team and iron out the external access bug.