- Download VMware Player from official VMware website (30 day free trial):
- Download OS X El Capitan: https://goo.gl/vXKKL6
- Download latest Unlocker app at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/339-unlocker/
- Unpack Unlocker and copy to the same directory as your unpacked OS X El Cap.vmdk files.
- Run the unlocker file named “Win-Install”
- Create a new folder on the desktop and name El Cap Install Folder.
- Open VMWare Player -> New VM -> Typical -> Install OS Later -> Mac OS 10.11 -> Install to new El Cap Install folder you created. Store as single file -> Edit VM -> Set more ram and CPU -> Select HDD and remove -> Add new HDD -> SATA -> Use existing HDD -> Browse to El Cap.vmdk you downloaded and unpacked-> Keep existing format > Remove CD/DVD -> Show all USB devices -> finish ->
- Open the new Virtual Machine configuration file (OS X 10.11.vmx) inside your your “El Cap Install” folder, and open with notepad.
- At the end of the file add the line:
smc.version = "0"
- Power on the OS X VM!
*Note, if you go on to build a USB bootable os x installation drive, after you insert your USB key drive into the computer, it may not show up on your OS X desktop. To fix this, click on the USB drive icon at the bottom right-hand corner of the vmware player frame.
If this article helped you, please click on an ad to help pay for hosting and site upgrades. 🙂